Thursday, February 23, 2017

They are just words ..... merci, mon ami ....


 The words arrived yesterday
NOW WHAT I wondered ????

A few ideas have been forming over breakfast 




Switching from one style to another takes some time to "settle in"
I have learnt their is an ambience to my creating....
I kind of have to switch into the French style I have in my head...
you know 
from Gardening...or Christmas ....
This is a more spacious style 
But I LOVE IT ....

 I was discussing some of this over a cuppa in a cafe in Cohuna on Monday....
When I hankered towards crafts 
the era was perfect seams & lovely gorgeous doorstop mice !!! and cushions with frills ..
I did some classes but wasn't at all leaning to the perfection style...
it simply is missing in my DNA ( LOL )
Quilting was happening with wives coming back to Canberra from postings overseas with their husband's work...
To tutor in quilting one needed to go through an accreditaion process....
All sorts of strong rules to creating.
The same was applied to folk art painting which  was mostly flowers & strawberries & some house scenes...in my world....
Floating was perfected, round brushes were the skill for the C 's  I didn't fit in there either I could not perfect them...
But I worked out a style ...
just as the Country Style boomed into my life....
painting cows, dolls with wool hair hanging on rope etc etc signs ..
Cloth dolls arrived with ripping aprons & wonky stitches & buttons 
and the likes of Cheri ..Cute as a button designs and first time quilts that gave me an excitement..
it was my place to be.....
Tea staining became an art form... we sprayed with tea, coffee, parisian essence , baked it, hung it to dry in the sun...scrunched it .....ironed it flat

The French have embraced a lot of that era today & i see my favourites from that era now alive again.....so lovely .
So this also gave many who are just plain messy but creative a voice...
I've been talking ever since...
It is not the actual items or the actual style it is the approach to it & how it makes sense in our life...
Quilts that are just put together....not cut precisely & pieced in the same way ...can be extremely individual & exciting....but it cannot be made easily into a formatted tutoring pattern or class..
It's called breaking the rules !!!
will I ???? I hope so
Tres Bein ...Merci,
Au revoir...mon ami.. 

No comments: