Saturday, November 7, 2015

These are the pleasures

Late yesterday I finally painted this batch of the big decorations....
They did look a happy bunch as they came to life under the colours on the brush.

These are things that give me so much pleasure ...especially if the design world gets a little bit grotty... as it does at times...
You work with someone who invites you in then leaves you and others high & dry with unprofessional conduct...
These sort of things are out of one's control but it sure does not ease the stress....for it being done...

I return to my work.....sorry for the one who has lost her way.....
and work silently towards my next goal....
This has been a 20 year apprenticeship in this industry...in October 2015
we celebrated very quitely that time I began to do business & change from being a hobby.
The world does take a different look once this transition begins....
From cloth dolls & my beloved cloth santas 
to
stitcheries & books
to
both Aust & an international distributership
to designed painted lady brooches  
with a couple of cats & dogs to keep them company
to
the designed painted buttons 
&
the Christmas decorations...
back to drawing the stitcheries ...to be worked into a quilt by another.....
in  a French Quilt Magazine ....

My first love is drawing ..just as I do it.....
I collect things in my travels...grateful to be given this key...

Talking with one of my friends over lunch the other day.....confirms again...we do this... 
a building for me with architecture from the past one little feature & 
she sees a fence while waiting at the lights & quickly sketches the rough design.....to use in her art work ,symbolic more than any directness...

Some do not ever understand what drives us to draw, paint & construct..& feel.
 .... some are far too afraid to go their real way..

I thought of Michelle Payne the rider of the winner of the Melbourne Cup as I wrote that,
She did go her own way...
brave, striving & she came through to be the
 first woman jockey  in Australia to win the Melbourne Cup 
a race that stops this nation.... 
she has such graciousness 
including her brother the strapper on the stage beside her..
& tells her story
She is one amazing woman...
That is what I am talking of..doing it in one's own small way can take you down some well lit streets & some dark alleys LOL

copyright bj Smith

No comments: