Friday, June 26, 2015

DEER ME... CHRISTMAS is all around us

Before I go down the Christmas pathway..never to be seen again.
A gorgeous email from sweet 
Anni Downes 
From Hatched & Patch & Home Patch this morning greeted me...
Anni was relaying the success of my buttons / decoration sales at the 
SYDNEY QUILT SHOW
THANK YOU ANNI & PETE. !
 ***


Don't you just love Christmas preparing ???
It is such a pretty & colourful time...
Shez I see is going full steam ahead making some of the Christmas Designs that Marg Low Design created with a few of my buttons....
The Big Deer tag that is now showing on Shez's blog is a lovely pattern
*****
Which reminds me to tell you again that Marg is running a Christmas Workshop on the highway just out from Albury on the Wodonga side...
When she rang earlier this week the day is filling fast... why not go up over ....to the workshop & sleep over at Beechworth which is so close & lovely

 Here are the deer....
there is a little one, which began the story of my herd of deer several years ago now..with his wispy fine antlers & delicate size....
Next I thought  as I was in some big mode idea maybe a big deer button ???  Thought it wouldn't be so used... but we sized him up, my machinist & I
and Big Deer Button was born..
In between the Deer Friends deer came with the bird sitting on his back
Then I tried other colours ..off white because I adore the off white Christmas decorating theme & wanted some of my work to fit this...
I did some grey & pastel and of course it all began with the tan....
Last season when I did a class in November I decided a mid size deer would be a great add in to the sample bag.....
So there are a couple of others I pull in & out of the collections 
They stand so well near my little tree don't they ?
copyright 
Barbara Smith


A little history .....LOL 
you all roll your eyes collectively...well I have entered my 20th year in designing in this industry
This CHRISTMAS JOURNEY Stitchery & Painting Book
I did around 2000.... under the Woodcutter's Daughter Label ....I think it was so close behind 
Bless Them Stitchers
As you see my santa's are front back & centre, peppered with an angel 
The sampler wall hanging was stitched in redwork on the tea stained calico & repeated painted on the lid of a wood box.
*******

2 comments:

Christine M said...

Shez has been doing an amazing job with all her decorations. Your buttons make them very special.

Meredith said...

I have a treasured copy of A Christmas Journey, and some little wall hangings made from it!