Friday, November 7, 2014

Ada Francis

Ada Francis & her son moved in over the road from me when I was about 9.
They had lived on the dairy farm until Ada's husband died...
Ada crocheted in fine cottons, so detailed, so intriguing.
her bedroom I only ever had rare glimpses of with her calico things & crocheted white bedspread & curtains.....
I have some of the curtains....


They were self sufficient in many ways ....
son rebuilt the kitchen cupboards.......
something that intrigued us kids.
They grew plums & dried their own prunes, really dry but so delicious & it was a delight to be allowed to have 2
The garden was fruit trees & food in the back along with the chooks....
a cacti garden filled the side garden & an array of flowering & scented things grew in the front....
No lawn


Just a verandah  & an old long seat we would sit on beside Mrs Francis as she sat & crocheted.
I was allowed to buy her cotton threads at the local store for her & more so after she broke her hip & was on crutches for the remainder of her life.

I have a few special pieces of Ada's work & one is a quilt top made from old shirts I guess...
Another is a little top, so petite, so delicate crocheted & lawn cloth...
and this little pillow... I think it may have been for the hosiery...
stockings to today's world.
I am blessed to have this...

www.theodoracleave.com

6 comments:

shez said...

Lovely story Barb,xx

theodora said...

Thanks Shez !!!
Barb xxx

Radka said...

What a lovely story :-)
xx

theodora said...

Thanks Radke, it was fun as a child visiting her.
Barb xx

kiwikid said...

What beautiful memories Barb and who lovely to have some of her work.
xx

theodora said...

Yes Sue the work is so lovely to pull out every so often & look... simple but detailed... beautiful
Barb xxx